Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Game of Thrones



When my husband suggested that I start watching the show Game of Thrones I was less than thrilled as it just did not look like the usual show that I watch.  I finally relented and now after many late nights watching episode after episode I was hooked and I am now a huge Game of Thrones fan.  Last Sunday was episode 2 of season 4 and we had it recorded and planned to watch it on Monday.  If you are a fan of the show you probably already know what happened and it was pretty huge for the show.  Monday arrived and everywhere I turned were people talking about the show.  The news, facebook, friends and people at work were discussing the show.  I somehow managed to not hear any specific details other than it was a much watch episode.  My husband on the other hand was not so lucky.  He was watching HLN and they were discussing it and the spoiler came across the feed at the bottom!  He was so mad.  I'm sure that he has learned his lesson that you have to avoid all TV and internet until you can watch the show, but what do you do if you absolutely cannot avoid it?  The daily dot has some great tips for people trying to avoid the spoilers while online  http://www.dailydot.com/technology/how-to-avoid-spoilers-online/  Do you have any good tips to share? 
 

4 comments :

  1. Thanks for not posting any spoilers! My boyfriend is a huge fan of Game of Thrones and has encouraged me to watch for a while now. I refuse to give in because I've heard that it's better to read the books before watching the show. I LOVE reading so the books are on the top of my list to read when I graduate in a couple weeks. Then I'm hoping to watch it soon after. It's crazy how this show caught on with so many people in such a short time though! They must be doing something right! As for spoilers, I haven't found an effective way to avoid them unfortunately. :( I was already shown a HUGE part of the show by a friend who thought I wasn't interested in the show so I've already found out some of the devastating parts. It's never easy to avoid them so I'm glad you posted this article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for tonight's episode. The Purple Wedding last week was a huge shock for me (I haven't read the books, I just watch the show)! Anyway, I wonder who poisoned you know who? My guess.. maybe Tyrion Lannister??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Game of Thrones too! I had some friends recommend the books before there was any talk of a show, but when I heard the buzz about how they were finally making a TV show of it, I took the plunge. I really, really like the books, even though I'm not into large fantasy novels (and trust me, these are HUGE, they clock in anywhere between 800 and 1000 pages!). What is interesting about these novels is that each chapter is told from a single character's perspective; so one chapter will be from Tyrion's perspective, another is Jamie's, then Bran, then Davos, then Catelyn, and so on. It is very unique to read things in this way, especially as the fourth and fifth books happen around the same time, so you get to read multiple perspectives on the same happenings. I would definitely recommend reading the books, even if you have already watched the show. It can be a bit annoying sometimes though, when they leave out things you think were important (like at the end of Season 1 with Sansa and the Hound...), or when they add in things that never happened (or characters that aren't even in the book, looking at you Ros).

    What I most enjoy about the stories is the fact that you really never know what is going to happen, as Martin is willing to kill off any characters he feels like, which makes you appreciate everyone even more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother has the spoiler issue as well. She's a big fan of all of the reality shows (Hell's Kitchen, American Idol, the Voice, etc) And she can never seem to actually see what happens, she always hears about it either on tv or it's a main article when she goes onto Yahoo to check her email. I'll be sure to give her that link to save her some grief!
    Also, I have yet to watch Game of Thrones. I hear nothing but good things, and Pinterest has spoiled plenty for me already. I think I'm going to be one of those people that waits until its over and then binge watch the whole thing. I'm the most impatient person I know!

    ReplyDelete